How to apply
- You can then order a stock of forms or opt for our new and online aplication process.
- Give the form to the applicant to fill in or they complete an online application.
- You will then check their ID documents and send the form or verify their ID on online.
- Send the form to us (with scanned copies of the ID) and we verify and countersign the application.
- DBS will send a certificate to the applicant.
- You must ask the applicant to show you the certificate so you can check it’s genuine.
How long it takes
Paper forms usually takes around 6-8 weeks but it can take longer if
- the details given for the check are incorrect
- several police forces need to be involved in the check
(You can’t pay more to get a faster check.)
How much it costs
How much it costs depends on the type of check
|Type of check||Cost|
|Standard||£34 + £1.60 vat|
|Enhanced||£52 + £1.60 vat|
|Enhanced with barred lists||£52 + £1.60 vat|
Checks are free for volunteers but there is still an admin charge.
Checks for carers
- can start work, as long as they’re supervised or
- should wait for the results of an enhanced check